Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Celebrate boys’ boyness – and work with it
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Gurk
is dead inside

you ain't bout that life

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thought View Post
the math and science thing i buy 100%. waterloo has to be upwards of 80% male, and that's one of the mathiest schools in the world. it's a total sausage fest over there. i'm sure gurk can attest to that.

i do think that at schools with a bigger arts presence you get more girls. i remember hearing guelph has a 5:1 girl to guy ratio - i don't know how statistically accurate that is but just visiting friends there it wouldn't be out of the question. laurier is definitely girl heavy, but not so much in the business program. the girls who are in business are generally specializing in marketing and HR. being in the accounting stream i'd say maybe a quarter are girls, and in finance it's even lower. i have friends in engineering who can't remember the last time they saw a girl.

to say girls are clobbering guys is melodramatic. again i don't know the stats but i don't think it's unreasonable to say there are more girls in university than there are guys. having said that, and this is just from personal experience and observation, there do seem to be more guys in sciences, accounting/finance, and engineering.
Definitely, engineering has like a 6:1 if not a higher ratio of guys to girls, but more and more girls are going into that as well, in the arts programs there are definitely more girls than guys for sure.
Gurk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote