Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Thinking hard about Amare....
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #31 (permalink)
Raptors1995
it's time to empty the trash

Representing:

Trading Calderon’s expiring in a package for a wing player is presently the most pressing need for our team. If that fails, I don’t mind exploring a trade for a PF.I would first try for a larger three team trade involving Gasol to the Raps. I think with the Dantoni hiring, contract aside, there has to be some level of interest with Amare. When healthy, there's no question that he will fit in nicely with Nash. Incorporating the Lakers into a larger three team deal involving Bargs to NY, Stoudermire going to LA, Gasol to TOR, as the centerpieces with other players and picks involved if needed is probably better for us. Gasol's rebounding, defense, and inside game is surely an upgrade. Not to mention, he only has 2 years left on his contract, preserving cap space for us in 2014 with some good free agents at the wing position available (Deng, Iggy if he opts in this yr). I think the Lakers want to preserve cap space for 2014 as well so it may not get done.

With respect to an Amrare to Raps deal, we can't ignore the fact that including this year, Amare is going to be making approximately 65 million dollars over 3 years. Health issues aside, that's a lot of money to commit to one player. However, I don't mind trading for Amare in a modified version of the OP's trade proposal. As a prerequisite, I would require packaging Fields’ horrible contract with Kleiza/Amir and Bargnani for Amare and would take Shumpert back instead of Prig. This gives the Knicks considerable cap relief in the final year. If they're concerned with more immediate relief, perhaps trading Kleiza away for an expiring like Luke Walton. This trade allows us to keep Calderon's expiring as a trade chip. With all that money already committed for 2013, if no trade for the past rumoured wing players is available, I would ship Calderon to the Mavs for Marion, Crowder, and a pick. This works for the Mavs as they want maximum cap space to make a run for Howard and Paul. Our cap space is already hamstrung with the addition of Amare or Gasol, and if we acquire Gasol instead of Amare, that would be a lot of cap room to work with in 2014.
Raptors1995 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote