Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - haircuts, faith and yada yada yada
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 07:46 AM   #34 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiaominWu View Post
are there no muslim doctors? do they not treat women?

i mean, i know that we have to respect someone's right to practice their religion... but within that there has to be a modicum of common sense thrown in, right? there are a lot of seriously antiquated things written in those holy books.

from the standpoint of a barber.... a man's head and a woman's head are virtually identical.... the hair grows the same way. this woman is not asking for anything different from every other customer they serve.
It's not solely about religion. From what I picked up from travelling through a few different Muslim countries, there is a pretty fair flexibility as to what people can decide to live by. A bigger aspect is culture. This dude is defined by a culture whereby he seeks to be honourable. He could just take a person's money and not worry about it, but the fact is that the culture he knows and was defined by will not allow him to do that. If he wanted to be a doctor he would of course need to accept a different culture. As a barber I'm not sure it's necessary to expect that much from him. I just don't see too many positives from technocrats drilling down this far all the time.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote