Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - haircuts, faith and yada yada yada
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 12:32 AM   #25 (permalink)
'trane
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfunkie1 View Post
religions aren't fairytales, they're rules for governing people. i'd hate to be you when you find out that you currently live by those rules that were thought out by religious leaders many years ago.
rules based on fiction and a denial of reason. rules that cannot be questioned and that are enforced by the threat of eternal suffering. rules that i never agreed to, nor that i continue to give assent to. make-believe justifications for servitude.

the values i currently hold as critical are the byproduct of humanism, and are by no means the property of faith. adding "god grants you" in front of "the right to freedom and happiness" does not make it any more valuable, nor any more the product of a particular tradition. these same faiths that stand for whatever humanist arguments you think i believe in also stand for other very objectionable things. and the fact that people pick and choose which parts to adhere to is further evidence that the 'rules' and their enforcement are not explicit.

it is absurd to insist that a secular in upbringing an a-religious (not anti-religious) household in a predominantly judeo-christian environment means that everything i believe in was created for me by religious leaders. that's not something i can take seriously.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote