Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Officiating
Thread: Officiating
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 03:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
is dead inside

Default Officiating

Hey guys, just wanted to make this thread so we can keep track of how shafted we're getting by the refs this season. If people have counter-arguments those are also good. I would like serious arguments/evidence though: video examples, video comparisons, stats, etc.

Here's the one I'd like to bring up. Looking up the advanced team data on Hoopdata I found a very interesting statistic:

We have the highest Opponent's Free Throw Rate (OFTR) in the league. This is opponents free throw attempts divided by their field goal attempts.

Ours is at .40 with Golden State is next behind at .37. The best teams are around the low .20s. If I'm not mistaken (I'm not great at math), that means we have a 15% higher OFTR than the second worse team in the league.

Hoopdata - NBA Team Defensive Stats

There's no way we should be having that many foul shots being attempted against us. All the knocks about our bad defense have centred around blow-bys, bad rebounding and giving the opponent fast break opportunities. I haven't heard a single comment from the commentators, players or coaching staff about fouling too often. And it's abnormally out there in regards to how bad it is. The average is .27 and we're 13 percentage points off of that. (The teams are between .20-.40)

Also it's important to remember that almost all of the other defensive efficiency measurements factor in Opponents' FTA so this would also trend us down in virtually all defensive metrics.

Maybe this is just a quirk but after seven games it's skewed enough to seem unreasonable. Either something's up or our worst problem as a team by far is that we're apparently fouling constantly. :cookie:
Metallikid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote