Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Changes might be coming
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #51 (permalink)
DocHoliday99
is pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs View Post
While an interesting exercise and great for discussion, do you really believe that you can compare performance this way? Starters and bench players play against different caliber of opponents, and bench players get good minutes when the game has been decided and the opposing team's starters are on the bench.

Isn't deciding starters in this way similar to predicting that the Raptors are going to win the division based on their preseason record?

I'm only stating this cause there are some here who seem to believe all that you say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
you should know better than use +/- for a 5 game sample, they are utterly meaningless.

Our 5 best players are, clearly and without need of explaining, jose, lowry, demar, Bargnani and amir. Since lowry is better than jose, jose needs to go the bench, and that leaves a spot for a SF.

Bargnani is playing like shit, but he appears to be coming into shape slowly. Even so, he's our second best player and without him, our offense, such as it is would be destroyed. It's bad enough now where he's the only one capable of spacing the floor, have an amir/ed/jv combination with demar and another non shooter at the 3 and might as well abandon half court possesions and give the ball back to the offense and hope we can get a rebound to run the floor ...
Both of you addressed the 2 points that concerned me the most about DanH's stat post. The 1st is that comparing starters and bench players through the +/- is completely unfair to both groups of players. If our starters played against the opposing team's bench and our bench players played against their starters, I'm sure that +/- will look completely different. The second is a +/- comparison after 5 games - that sample is not just small but when you combine with point 1 it makes the +/- completely misleading.
DocHoliday99 is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote