Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - news
Thread: news
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 08:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
LX
with pink peppercorns

In the Paint

Representing:

I remember sitting down with paper newspapers while drinking coffee. Now I seem to just get news from all over, almost by osmosis. I used to like local tv news a lot, and now it's all so bad and generally lacking news.

I listen to a lot of CBC radio, and aside that, and checking sites already mentioned, I find twitter helps, but I try to keep it pretty streamlined. Following people that retweet good stuff regularly is a nice way of conglomerating a lot of sources in one place. Roger Ebert is a great person to follow in that sense. He stays on top of so much culturally and politically, and retweets from so many varied sources.

I also check out truthout, and Al Jazeera.

Mostly I find this Information Age really problematic. The local news I find the most valuable is so utterly lacking aside from metro morning on CBC. And the depth of coverage all around is just not there without digging.

Last night I came across a Forbes op-ed piece (through Ebert) on the voting machines story that I posted about yesterday. The comments were striking, as they pointed out that it was crazy that it was posted as opinion when it was filled with facts that should be presented front and center as news. There's something about doing a lot of digging for good news sources that is unsettling. If a few of us know a fair bit, but most of us are just up to date on the latest diversions, then is there a point? What I liked most about sitting down with a couple papers in the past, was the feeling of sharing in a collective sense of awareness to some degree. Now I get the feeling that I'm simply trying to avoid efforts to make me less aware along with everyone else.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote