Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Who do you think are the Top 10 NBA Players Ever (no order/rank involved) ?
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #48 (permalink)
Metallikid
threes and free throws

Representing:

There are arguments for and against a lot of players. You could say Dr.J didn't do enough in the NBA. You could say Oscar Robertson, despite his 6-7 years of complete and utter statistical dominance, only won one ring and one MVP and didn't even get his team to the playoffs all the time. You could argue that Karl doesn't deserve it because he never won a ring, despite his longevity and being one of the most consistent elite level players ever. Even Shaq (and to a lesser extent, Bird) isn't a lock given how bad the last 5-6 years of his career were. Also I do think it's important to give at least a tiny bit of consideration to positional importance and based on that I gave Karl a little given that he's the only power-forward on or anywhere near my list while the others are clearly centres.

On the flip side some of you guys aren't including Hakeem which to me is sacrilege. The only player to win DPOY, MVP and finals MVP in the same season. Back-to-back 'chips, all time leader in blocks. He is the epitome of a two-way player.

Likewise there are plenty of arguments for Moses Malone (3 MVPs, All-Time leader in Offensive Rebounds, led the NBA in rebounding six times, one 'chip and finals MVP), George Mikan (five 'chips and fundamentally altered the rules of the NBA but didn't get any MVPs because they didn't exist at the time) or John Havlicek (Won 7 times, Finals MVP, five-time all-defensive first-team, 4 first and seven second team selections, winning the greatest NBA game of all-time).

If I was forced to include players still playing it would probably look like this:

Wilt Chamberlain
Kareem-Abdul Jabbar
Michael Jordan
Magic Johnson
Larry Bird
Kobe Bryant
Tim Duncan
Hakeem Olajuwon
Oscar Robertson
Shaquille O'Neal

To me there are only three locks for this list: Michael Jordan, Kareem-Abdul Jabbar and Wilt Chamberlain.

Last edited by Metallikid; 10-21-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Metallikid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote