Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Flop thread
Thread: Flop thread
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ball Don't Lie
We going to the 'ship!

Representing:

Quote:
Why not empower the experts (the officials) to make the call during the game?
You really trust the refs to do this? They're the main reason there is flopping in the game. As Battier recently alluded to:
Quote:
"The unfortunate thing about the block/charge [distinction] is that I've had many, many times where a ref told me that you have to go to the floor to get the call. By the letter of the law, I've taken a hit, but I've stood on my feet. Even though I've gotten nailed, the ref calls it a no-call. I say, 'Ref, what's wrong with that [charge]?' He says, 'You have to go down to get the call.'

"Inherently, there's something wrong with that."
And you almost never see a standing charge these days, whereas if you remember or watch the older games, it happens at least 2-3 times a game where players didnt have to put themselves on the floor to get the charging calls, it was just based on positioning.

I'm just hoping it now takes the offensive flopping out of the game where players flail and throw their heads back and even throw themselves to the floor to get calls, see Fisher and Iverson for examples. But I also hope that players now try and play better positional D and theres more shotblocking now that players wlll hopefully now fear that if they just throw themselves infront of the offensive player and then throw themselves back that they're going to pay a penalty. And hopefully it gets to the point where its just instinctual again for players to actually make a play on the ball instead of flopping.
Ball Don't Lie is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote