Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Colangelo wants to see Valanciunas starting
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #12 (permalink)
LX
effin' ineffable

In the Paint

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
What would you prefer to read? What is your advice....honestly, don't hold back.

Should the GM of a pro team not speak optimistically about both his new player and his teams goals for a season that lies ahead?

"selling hype" "words not standing up" Honestly man, it's just pro sports, its a show, there isn't a single production on the planet that rolls out the new Show by telling the audience the actors arent very good, and that they are hoping that they are on course to maybe having a good show next year, or the year after. It's not important. It's sports entertainment. Maybe relax?
Where did I say speaking optimistically was a problem? Over-hyping, and over-selling and over-promising could very well be a problem, especially when it's been a problem that clearly has not served him well in the past. Now I have to take some blame for buying into all of his promises and sales jobs in the past. That said, what I'd really like to see now (and this not presumed to be my advice unless you want to try to be a dick about it, but rather just my viewpoint as a fan) is a GM that continues to preach about the groundwork being laid for long term future success. He could suggest that there will be some good signs of progress and that there's always the chance to surprise. But to always talk about the big transformative deal repeatedly over such a long period of time (remember he started down that road before Bosh left) sounds a bit too much like a guy that is not all that secure in his job, and could easily cause people to be unimpressed when a deal finally is made, and when considering what is going to have to be given up turns out to not look incredibly transformative. Now I can't blame him if he is not secure in his position, I just think it sucks and could lead to real problems. It would be wonderful if he could feel secure enough in saying that he is carrying out a plan, that there will be more moves in the making this season, and that step by step they look to build something that will succeed for some time to come. Especially considering how so many past promises brought disappointment.

Last edited by LX; 10-03-2012 at 10:21 AM.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote