Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - SN: Raptors on the cusp?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
LX
with pink peppercorns

In the Paint

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
not sure you're right, most coaches love playing two pg together, if at all possible, especially teams that lack shot creators, but not only. Dallas, Minesotta, Clippers , OKC do it quite frequently and are far from being alone. There are a lot of advantages offensively from doing that and as long as you can get away with it on defense, we'll see that a lot, especially at the end of close games.

Lowry is undersized, but he's so tough that he could definitely defend some 2s (guys like harden/westbrook or terry/lee or billups etc) if necessary.

The reason it never worked for jose is because he was never paired with a good defensive PG before. Ford was an ok defender, but you could never ask him to guard a 2 of any size. Lowry gives you more flexibility in that respect.
Yeah - I don't want to rule it out completely and could see it being more feasible, but does that need to be advertised before they see a second of real action?

There are enough backcourts that are difficult to defend as a tandem, and I'm not convinced of the offensive advantages if it ends up being like a square peg. Yes, the option should be there, and if it works at all it could become a part of the regular rotation. Last I checked, deciding on what options make the most sense and how to use them, is the job of the coach, not something pre-ordained by the GM before camp even starts, in order to placate. This is not unlike the situation where Bargnani was posited as a 3 in order to smooth over that square peg. The GM should be the GM and put together a team with pieces that fit within the overall culture, and leave the coach to do his job. The meddling needs to stop.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote