Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Bargnani's Impressive Defense
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 09:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
As for the assignment, the original article (I suggest you click through because it is much better than the score article) does cover that, and suggests that based on anecdotal evidence Bargnani covers the better player a large enough chunk of the time that assignment is not the root cause of those stats. Disagree if you like, but it was addressed.
Stats and anecdotal evidence are not a great mix in my books. I have seen him take the lesser offensive big often enough to be very guarded about calling him elite. An elite defender is not constantly slow getting back and looking to Amir or whoever to take his cover. Now that happened a lot less last season, but it still happened too often, especially for a guy that works round the perimeter offensively.

I just read the original and agree that it's much much better. I do still disagree with the idea that he fails on help because he sticks to his own man too much. First, it's a weak argument that really just points to AB's poor reaction. Second, I have seen him neither offer help nor cover his man, but rather end up in no-man's land time after time. Third, I have seen him sticking to his man as suggested, but losing sight of the ball, including when it goes up on a shot, only to have his cover easily grab the rebound. But overall the points are reasonable. And yes - he has the tools like McGee, but lacks the reaction, while McGee over-reacts to everything. That was a nice observation. You combine both those guys and you have an all-time great.

Last edited by LX; 08-24-2012 at 09:55 PM.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote