Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - In a society that prides itself on equality...
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2012, 11:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
bjjs
a baller

Representing:

I don't think it has much to do with equality as it does expectations, and perhaps some misguided views on raising children with disability.

As far as expectations, during my wife's second pregnancy and labour, there is always a lingering thought in the back of my mind hoping that the baby is perfectly healthy. My three year old wouldn't of cared a bit if my newborn had down syndrome or any other condition because he didn't have expectations. But for the most part, parents have expectations that they will have a healthy baby.

As far as views on raising children with disabilities - I think the general view is that it costs more money, requires more time, and is generally just harder. True or not, I think that's the view most people have.

My wife never got the tests done to diagnose these conditions, from my understanding they are rather rigorous and invasive. The people who are going for these tests, go knowing that if they turn out positive they're most likely going to terminate the pregnancy. So even though the termination rate is 91%, I'm guessing that only like 1-5% of pregnant women take the tests.

If it was possible to diagnose these conditions to a high degree in the first trimester(I don't think it is), I would ask my wife to consider termination. If testing is/was possible, and cheap, and easily administered in the first trimester I think you would definitely see a rapid decline in the number of births with disability.

Last edited by bjjs; 07-24-2012 at 11:49 PM.
bjjs is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote