Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - The Score: Raptors offseason so far
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
jeffb
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Representing:
Raptors The Score: Raptors offseason so far

Quote:
Kyle Lowry and Landry Fields were officially introduced to Toronto and to the media on Tuesday afternoon, and theScoreís cameras were there to take it all in.

Considering that the Raptors were rumoured to be eying Lowry around Draft night, despite being heavily interested in Steve Nash, I actually believe Bryan Colangelo when he says acquiring Lowry is something they wanted to do regardless of the Nash sweepstakes. Obviously though, nabbing Kyle became more of a pressing issue once it became clear that Nash wasnít coming.

It was also interesting to hear Colangelo talk about how there will be competition within the team, especially at the point guard spot if Jose Calderon returns. Like most Raptors fans, Iím hoping and expecting Lowry to take the starting job and run with it, but if weíve learned anything from Dwane Casey, itís that he wants his players to earn their roles, so donít expect anything to be written in stone. Also, as Iíve said before, if Calderon sticks around, the Raptors should boast one of the NBAís best point guard combinations this season.

Meanwhile, Fields shows us his sense of humour, talks a little ďLinsanityĒ and discusses his confidence in a once dependable shot that abandoned him last season.

Landry Fields isnít worth six-plus million dollars per season, at least not yet. But if youíve watched him in the past, know his game and know Dwane Caseyís coaching style, you should realize that Fields will fit right in with the Raptors and definitely has the potential for a bounce back season on the offensive end. And thatís exactly what Iím expecting of him.

Plus, who doesnít want more evidence and another reason to blame Carmelo Anthony for ruining everything?

Seriously though, both guys seem to be taking to Toronto quite well. As for Fields, while I doubt anyone sees his contract as a good one right now, try to remember that he didnít pay himself, and at least give him a chance to play a game in a Raptors uniform before assuming heís going to be the most overpaid player in NBA history.

I believe Scott nailed it on the head earlier today when he wrote that heís ďwilling to wait and see how this season plays out before I make any bold proclamations about (Colangeloís) supposed incompetence.Ē

We canít know for certain if Colangelo and company are satisfied with their work already this off-season, but hereís what we do know: Replacing Bayless, Forbes, Johnson, Magloire and Alabi with Lowry, Ross, Fields, Valanciunas and Acy should noticeably improve this team, and if you canít admit that, perhaps youíre as blind and biased as you claim Colangelo and his supporters to be.
Introducing Kyle Lowry and Landry Fields | RaptorBlog | Blogs | theScore.com
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote