Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Daniel Tosh Rape "Joke"
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDER View Post
I side with the comedians. If its a joke, it's a joke. They can say whatever the hell the want. If you don't like it, don't go to the show. If you're offended by foul language and harsh topics and that is what is in a comedians routine, don't go to the show. Comedians can talk about whatever they want to talk abou in my opinion.
And kramers ordeal wasn't about a joke, it's how he got into it with hecklers.
This dude got into it with hecklers as well. And it wasn't a joke. It was just stupid. I find it to be less offensive than just terrible comedy. He says the point was that some things like rape are terrible, but you can still make fun of them. I'm not sure if that's true, and if it is, I think making the attempt off the cuff is bound to fail miserably. It would require a good deal of craft and context.

When I was working at a community radio station I booted a couple of guys off the air for playing a song about gang rape. They placed it in no particular context and just giggled and got off on the whole thing. Violence against woman has just been far too ingrained in our culture. There's no way I can see it as acceptable to do anything but work at undoing that.

I get the feeling that today's culture is all about everything being funny at some level because everything is ultimately meaningless. Everyone's ego is equal to everything else in the universe since everything else can be utterly deflated of meaning. How wonderfully easy, and terrifying. How about putting in the effort to uncover meaning, and allow ourselves to be humbled and egos diminished? No, I guess it's just too much fun to be chimpanzees.

Now I have to admit to being completely out of touch at this point. It could be my age. I heard a call-in on CBC radio of all things, about the Internet site that showed the video of Magnotta's crimes. They asked if such sites should be allowed. I thought it was a ridiculous question. I mean what's next, offering a guy like this his own cable show, or comedy act? And I was stunned at how many called and said they had watched this shit. Some young people watched it with a parent. And the consensus seemed to be that it was ok to have access to it. It left me completely disoriented, and that is where I'm coming from in my response to this.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote