Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - The case for Rudy Gay...
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
canada_rocks2369
from Canada and it rocks

Representing:
Default The case for Rudy Gay...

K I actually just posted this in a thread from a few days ago talking about the SF position and specifically Andre Igoudala. Figured I would repost this in a new thread since I wanna know what u guys think and not as many ppl go back thru old threads. The following was my solution at SF:

If we had gotten Nash, I wouldve wanted Igoudala or Josh Smith (would fit good next to Bargs I think, on offense have AB at SF and Smith at PF, on defense they switch), but since we've got a penetrating scoring PG now I'd rather go for Rudy Gay. Teams almost need 3 shooters to space the floor in today's NBA, and if we started Lowry, DD, Iggy, Bargs, and JV, the lane would get plenty crowded (would be helped somewhat if DD was traded for Iggy and Ross or Fields started at the 2). Gay is the best option available IMO as he's the best shooter of the bunch and a good rebounder for the position (a necessity playing next to Bargnani). He's also young and still has upside, along with real talent that this team is still lacking in. Yes, his contract is massive, but how else to we get all-star talent here besides overpaying anyway? Just so happens in this case Memphis did the overpaying for us lol.
I'm very high on the idea of adding Gay to our core, and I'm low on keeping DeRozan with the other pieces we now have in place (just seems like a bad fit with basically everyone but Jose, who also seems like a bad fit these days lol). The solution: trade DeMar, Ed Davis, and Jose for Gay.
For Memphis, it makes sense to get a younger, cheaper version of Gay when the team has performed no worse with Gay out of the lineup anyway in recent years. Yes, DeMar isn't nearly as good of a player, but Memphis has enough talent elsewhere that they don't need that production at the 3 as much as we do, especially not at that cost. They get an exceptional backup PG and a boost in 3pt shooting on an expiring contract (Jose) and a young developing big on a rookie contract (Ed).
For Toronto, they get to roll out the following roster:
PG: Kyle Lowry, ?
SG: Landry Fields, Terrence Ross
SF: Rudy Gay, James Johnson, Linas Kleiza
PF: Andrea Bargnani, Amir Johnson
C: Jonas Valanciunas, Aaron Gray

Not sure what our cap situation would look like at this point but use whatever we have left to sign a backup PG (could amnesty Kleiza if it helps...) and another big for the vet's minimum and we're done for the summer. This lineup features excellent rebounders at PG, SG, SF, and potentially C to offset Bargnani's "contributions" in that area, with good perimeter shooting and 3 starters capable of creating their own shot. Would be a decent lineup defensively with potentially all-star talent at multiple positions, balance and depth and plenty of room to improve while Ross and JV get acclimated to the NBA and the rest of the roster hits it's prime.
So we got youth, talent, depth, 3pt shooting, rebounding, defense, and potential... What do u think? Who would say "no", Memphis or Toronto?

Last edited by canada_rocks2369; 07-08-2012 at 05:16 PM.
canada_rocks2369 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote