Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Minnesota's Green Wants A Trade
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2008, 09:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Bob Loblaw
a Professional Troller, Lackluster Poster

Representing:
Default Minnesota's Green Wants A Trade

Not sure if he'd fit in anywhere in Toronto ...
Green wants a trade
By Marc J. Spears
Globe Staff / January 26, 2008

Quote:
The agent for the Timberwolves' seldom-used swingman, Gerald Green, an ex-Celtic, hopes to get his client a better playing opportunity in another NBA uniform.

Green's agent, Byron Irvin, told the Globe yesterday that he asked Wolves vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale and general manager Jim Stack in early January if they would trade his client. Green is making $1.4 million this season and the Wolves have declined his option for next season, thus making him an unrestricted free agent this summer. The trading deadline is Feb. 21.

"I thought it was going to be a formality that they wanted to take his option, especially since he is a player coming out of high school," said Irvin, an ex-NBA player who is Celtics coach Doc Rivers's cousin, in a telephone interview. "His first year he averaged 5 points and his second year he averaged 10. You can see the development and the growth.

"When they didn't take the option, the first question I had immediately is whether he is in Minnesota's long-term goals. You have to give that time to answer the question. And after he hasn't played much through 41 games, I would have to say the answer to that question is no."

"I'm just working hard every day in practice," said Green, who turns 22 today. "A lot of [positivity] comes from my teammates. They just keep telling me to keep working, keep getting better. I have vets like Antoine Walker, Greg Buckner, Mark Madsen, and Michael Doleac who keep me motivated to want to get better. That's all I'm trying to do.

"I'm just trying to look at everything as positive as I can to keep me motivated. Right now is a tough time, but I've got to stay self-motivated."

Rivers said he believes Green will be a "good player" in the NBA once he develops.

"It's going to take him time," Rivers said Thursday. "You've got to give him time. He's the Slam Dunk champion, not the basketball champion. We've got to let him play. We've got to let him grow. We've got to allow him to be coached.

"He has to keep improving and want to improve. Here, he was doing that. And from what I hear, he was working his butt off there. His time will come."

Said Celtics forward Paul Pierce: "Gerald is still trying to find himself."
Bob Loblaw is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote