Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Colangelo pre-draft presser
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 01:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
DSWC
only wearing black until something darker comes along

Representing:

A few things about this...

In previous pressers, it's sounded like the Raptors' brass have been torn on whether or not to keep the pick. To me, it sounds like BC is in favour of trading the pick, while it's the other voices in the room that perhaps want to keep it. When it comes to the team though, BC has the final say, and that's what leads me to believe that this pick could very well be traded. If you listen to the way he talks too, he puts a pretty big emphasis on the "IF", when he talks about keeping the pick.

He has also used the word "accelerate" the building process, and to me, that sounds like trading the pick (whether in a package or not) for more immediate help. Quite honestly, this is the fault of the Raptors higher-ups, as they only gave him a two year extension. Yes, this puts the pressure on BC -which could be a good thing - but it also forces his hand a bit. If people want to blame BC for an accelerated rebuild, I would shift that blame to the people above his head, and not on him. He's trying to save his job, and you'd probably do the same thing too. I'm tired of losing too, and YES I'd like to see immediate results, but not at the expense of being right back in the same position in a couple of years.

It sounds like Ed Davis is coming back, same with Bayless... Those are a couple less trade pieces, unless BC gets an offer that he really likes, but he did mention them by name specifically.

Also, it sounds like there are 3 guys that BC REALLY likes... If I were to hazard a guess, Barnes is one of them, Beal may be the other (BC and DC have suggested that the team needs shooters), and it's just a guess, but the third may be Lillard, as he briefly answered the question about him (hiding his hand a bit?) but spent more time talking about PJ III. (Strictly speculation on my part) Lillard may not be the third guy, with the Bayless talk, either.

It sounds too, like BC thinks (and rightfully so) that it's time to do something in the East. He says some teams will be affected by injury (Chicago, etc), and some by free agency (Orlando, Brooklyn, Boston et. al), and besides Miami and Indy, who are on the way up, there is a lot of uncertainty in the division, and it is time to maybe cash in some chips, and hope to catch lightning in a bottle again.

Either way, I think that this was one of those BC press conferences where he maybe didn't say a lot, but if you listen to it in a week or two (after the draft and after free agency opens), what he happens will have meshed with what he said today.
DSWC is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote