Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Aldridge Blurb on Conspiracies
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
bjjs
a baller

Representing:
Default Aldridge Blurb on Conspiracies

Educated guesses about the 2012 Draft's first round | NBA.com

Quote:
My particular feeling about conspiracy theory in general and why people who are otherwise normal -- they're not clinically paranoid -- is that we like stories that make the world dramatic," said Peter Starr, the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at American University and a studier of the increase in paranoia and conspiracy in contemporary culture, on Sunday.

"If David Stern is pulling some strings like the Wizard of Oz, it makes the world dramatic," Starr said. "And it gives the person who articulates the conspiracy theory some sense of importance, because they've uncovered it. It's like, everybody else is duped, but I'm not duped."

Starr's webbook, "We the Paranoid," takes a historical look at past conspiracy theories, from the Kennedy Assassination to UFOs, and why we are so susceptible to them. He is not a basketball expert, but after spending a few minutes researching the various NBA conspiracy theories over the weekend, he reached a quick conclusion.

"They're totally consistent with everything I study," he said.

"They felt the Bush Administration -- which couldn't even manufacture weapons of mass destruction in Iraq -- could bring down the buildings without being detected," he said. "We don't want bumbling. We want an antagonist who's strong. If the Celtics blow a play, it can't be because they blew a play; it's because they're throwing the game. We want our antagonists to be hypercompetent and evil....why would Orlando get two first round picks when they're a small market team? That just gets ignored...there's a kind of selective attention there."

And conspiracies are counterintuitive: the more proof one produces to refute the theories, the more people believe the theories

Last edited by bjjs; 06-04-2012 at 01:12 PM.
bjjs is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote