Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Smith: Raptors hoping to beat odds in NBA draft lottery
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #28 (permalink)
DanH
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Filth View Post
why would you have to track the lottery ball combos?

a lottery is something too simple to make complicated. i understand that they want the suspense of a count down, but why would anything need to be tracked?

1st gets 250 balls
2nd gets 199 balls
3rd gets 156 balls

whoever draws first wins, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th. the odds are there.

did i misunderstand you there?

i'm more than curious if there's a definitely explanation on how they do it. i know at the lottery they mention 14 balls being placed into the lottery machine, but that doesn't make sense. moremilk doesn't know what he's talking about, and you're saying something completely different.
They place 14 balls with the numbers 1 through 14 on them in the machine. They will draw 4 balls. If you look at the total number of combination possibilities of 4 balls drawn from a selection of 14, there are 1001 possible outcomes (if you ignore the order, as they do - so 1,2,3,4 is the same as 4,3,2,1). One of these (11,12,13,14) is ignored. Then the rest of the 1000 combinations are assigned to the various teams - 250 of the combinations to the top team, 199 combinations to the 2nd team, etc - to establish the percentage point probabilities of winning you list above.

Then when the 4 balls are drawn, the combination of numbers tells you what team won the lottery. The balls are placed back in and another combination of 4 is drawn. If that combination is 11,12,13,14 or assigned to a team's pick that has already been drawn, then they redo it.

The combinations are posted to be seen before and during the draw by all attending personnel (including media members) so they can all confirm that the random drawing is indeed connected to the correct teams.
DanH is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote