Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - NBA to penalize floppers, and possibly change the goaltending rule
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 07:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
jeffb
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Representing:
Thumbs up NBA to penalize floppers, and possibly change the goaltending rule

Quote:
Stern’s new committee is expected to work on two major rules changes right away: Adopting the international rule for goaltending, meaning that balls could be legally knocked off the rim or backboard that now would result in a basket; and penalizing “floppers.”

Stern has talked to GMs in the past about changing the goaltending rule, but never got anywhere. But now he’ll have a more receptive group to consider what would be a dramatic change in the defensive rules.

“I think it’s time to look at (flopping) in a more serious way, because it’s only designed to fool the referee,” Stern told ABC during Game 1 of the Heat-Pacers semifinal series. “It’s not a legitimate play in my judgment. I recognize if there’s contact (you) move a little bit, but some of this is acting. We should give out Oscars rather than MVP trophies.”

Perhaps Stern should have the people in charge of officiating teach the refs what a flop is. He was never able to convince the 30 general managers that there had to be a crackdown on the practice, with accompanying penalties.

“Some years ago I told the competition committee that we were going to start fining people for flopping, and then suspending,” he said. “And I think they almost threw me out of the room, (saying), ‘No, let it be.’”

Now, Stern has, in effect, thrown the GMs out of the room, while installing his new committee in to carry out his agenda.

NBA GM's lose power with the announcement of a new 'competition committee' that also includes owners and coaches - NY Daily News
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote