Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Mike Krzyzewski announced that this year will be the last time he coaches Team USA
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
jeffb
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Representing:

Quote:
The Sacramento Bee’s Ailiene Voisin adds support to a notion many basketball observers have been discussing for some time: the San Antonio Spurs’ Gregg Popovich should take over as coach of Team USA when Mike Krzyzewski steps down after the London Olympics this summer.

Popovich was named Coach of the Year this season, and over 42 percent of NBA general managers said in January that they believe he’s the best coach in the league. And LeBron James, when asked if Popovich would make a good coach for the U.S. squad, responded, “Absolutely. He knows the game. He knows the players. And he's coached enough stars at San Antonio. I think he'd be great (as Olympic coach). If Coach K decides he doesn't want to do it any more, I think Coach Popovich would be a great candidate. His resume speaks for itself.”

Krzyzewski, in fact, did indicate this week that the London Games will be his last with the team.

Writes Voisin, “Taking nothing away from Tom Izzo, John Calipari, Mike D'Antoni, Nate McMillan and others within the college and NBA ranks, choosing the next national team coach should be the easiest decision in (USA Basketball chairman Jerry) Colangelo's tenure.”

"If you recall, Mike and Pop were my two choices in 2005," Colangelo told Voisin. "When I talked to Coach K, he almost jumped through the phone. I didn't sense that same enthusiasm in my conversation with 'Pop.' Afterward, he sent me a letter and said I misinterpreted what he said. He felt I had misjudged him, and maybe I did. But that was a long time ago. How can anyone argue with his record, his performance? With him as a great coach?"

If there’s hard feelings because of the way that decision was made, Voisin suggests, they can be easily overcome.

“After London, we'll sit down and look at everything,” Colangelo said. “Pop would certainly be a leading candidate if it's going to be a pro coach."

Gregg Popovich the no-brainer call to replace Mike Krzyzewski as Team USA coach? - NBA - Sporting News
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote