Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Toronto should consider trading down in the draft !!
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #30 (permalink)
MBailey85
is pounding the rock!

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeToronto View Post
Or you could put it this way - the importance of every player is so much higher in the NBA that the importance of talent evaluation (and luck) is paramount in building a successful franchise. Some teams, like Utah and SA, for instance, have shown for years that they are capable of drafting great talent late in the draft. Others have shown they are consistently capable of blowing pretty high picks, including #1 overall. I'd say that Toronto as a club and Colangelo as a GM are somewhere in the middle of the pack and so, yeah, they'd need as high a pick as possible to improve their chances of striking gold in the draft.
I hear what you're Saying and I think most of it is true BUT I disagree with needing the highest pick. The higher the pick only means greater the pressure.

Toronto has had 1st overall before and that hasn't equaled gold. Bargnani is a great complimentary piece but NO player you build your team around. Let's say AB was drafted 16th overall he would be considered a steal. AB is still one of the best from that draft class but in hindsight,Phoenix selected the best player from that draft today,in Rajon Rondo,in the bottom half of the first round.

I'm just saying,if Toronto doesn't have who they WANT available when it's their turn to select,they should think about trading down because what they NEED (a PG prospect ) will likely be there and they can add another prospect who may fit their system and turn out to be a steal.
MBailey85 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote