Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Tyson Chandler wins DPOY
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Grizz
waiting for his team to return

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
I'm actually shocked he won...I didn't think he was very..dominant this year.
From Hollinger's article about his DPOY and All-Defense Teams:
Quote:
But let's zoom back out to the big picture and get to the main reason I'm writing about Chandler today: New York's amazing transformation at the defensive end. Chandler wasn't exactly joining the most receptive culture for a defensive game-changer. His new team had two superstars who don't care about defense and a coach who doesn't care about defense. The Knicks have given heavy minutes to others who don't much like defending (Smith) or lack the mobility to do it well (Mike Bibby and Steve Novak).

Yet there is New York, ranking fifth in defensive efficiency.

The Knicks, we'll remind you, were 21st in this category a year ago. And, although other changes have helped -- most notably drafting perimeter antagonist Iman Shumpert -- it's really been Chandler who has changed everything.

And this time around, we really should have expected it, given that:

He was the main defensive catalyst in Dallas the season before, when the Mavs improved on defense from 12th to seventh and ended up winning the title.

A year earlier in Charlotte, although he missed 31 games with injuries, he was a key piece on a Bobcats squad that led the league in defensive efficiency (did, too).

Before that, in New Orleans, he and the Hornets were a top-10 defensive team in consecutive seasons with Chandler and a whole lot of not much else.

And before that, in Chicago, a young Chandler led the Bulls to the No. 2 mark in defense in 2004-05.
Grizz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote