Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Arsenalist: Mitchell content with roster (or so he says to himself)
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dr. J. Naismith
convinced that Raptors fans are only happy when they're unhappy.

Retired Administrator
Default Arsenalist: Mitchell content with roster (or so he says to himself)

I know it may seem like I'm kissing ass here and some might not agree with Arsenalist's sometime harsh criticism of Sam, but I have to say he's one of the better Raptor contributors out there today.

Here's part of his entry from today:

Originally Posted by Raptors Republic
Sam Mitchell says heís happy with the roster Colangelo has provided for him and admits that even though they lack athleticism and depth theyíll make up for it because theyíre fundamentally good basketball players.

ďIím pleased with the team that we have. Bryan has done a great job of giving me a good team. We have a great group of guys that work hard. What we may lack athletically, I think we have a chance to make it up basketball-wise. We have got some pretty good basketball players.Ē

Iíd really like to believe that but I just donít think Anthony Parker, Jamario Moon and Jason Kaponoís collectively IQ can make up for Rashard Lewis breaking them down on the perimeter and posting them up on the next possession. Some things in life are pretty cut and dry and itís obvious that weíre going to suffer this year when we play 3ís that can break you down off the dribble. On the other end of the court we better hope that OíNeal and Bosh make up for the offense that Jamario Moon and Joey Graham donít provide. Itís the only way this rosterís equation makes sense. Mitchellís been handed a star player on one side but on the other, the teamís depth has been compromised. Depending on oneís coaching style a coach might prefer one over the other but I think in this case Mitchell hardly cares or knows any better. Heís like the blind man whose being offered a hand in crossing the street - for all you know he might be being led to his death!

So with the Raptors being less than the half the price of an Elliot Sptizer hooker away from being in luxury tax range ($1,100), will Colangelo and MLSE be willing to make a move if need be? Mitchell says thatís Colangeloís decision and we should wait and see.

ďThatís the decision that (Colangelo) and the upper management makes. He looks at our basketball team and if he feels at some point we need to go to the board and talk about other options, heíll do that. Right now, we havenít played a game. Nowís not the time to do that. Letís play some games first, see where we are.Ē

I agree. I so agree with this. Letís see what we can do with this team. Wait 10, 20 games and if we got enough letís stick with it but if it becomes evident that a shot in the arm is needed, letís not hesitate to make a deal even if it means paying some luxury tax and being unprofitable for a year. I guarantee you theyíll make the money back on the EC Champs t-shirts. Hell, Iíll buy 10 and give them away to you guys in contests.
Source - Click here
Dr. J. Naismith is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote