Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Casey Should Be An Assistant Coach
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Blaze
is waiting

Representing:
Raptors Casey Should Be An Assistant Coach

All year I've looked at Casey with torn judgement. He's a good defensive coach and made our team have an incredible turn around in that regard. He also gets our guys to play hard, something that at least makes Raptor games enjoyable, but other than that he has little else to offer.

Our team on the offensive end has been horrible all season, we've only had a hand full of games were we went over 100 points. Our calling card this year was how we always collapse in the fourth, simply because we can't create enough offence to finish out games.

Player development leaves much to be desired. Aside from James Johnson and possibly Calderon (I think he's only playing better because he's finally healthy), none of our players have developed what so ever. I would include Bargnani but after his injury he turned back to his same old self. Ed Davis has regressed because he's barely getting play. Bayless has shown flashes but injuries as well as limited play have held him back. Don't get me started about Demar, who was supposed to break out this year. In a rebuilding year where we were supposed to develop our players, we simply haven't.

Finally the thing that annoys me the most is his decision making on substitutions and rotations. Subbing Butler in when he hasn't played in clutch situations, electing to play scrubs instead of our core players, having Jamal in the game in a foul situation, having Butler touch the court, and worst part of all he never goes with the hot hand as evidently proven today when he subbed out Ed Davis and our team just collapsed. There are so many more examples of his horrible decision making that don't immediately come to mind.

I know I'm in the dark here because many of you seem to really like Casey but I think he would be better suited as an assistant coach. He would coordinate defence, and we would have another coach to do the other things. That being said I can't think of a head coach readily available to replace Casey but possibly next year as I'm sure Casey's flaws will be more evident with a group with higher expectations. Maybe Stan Van Gundy if he leaves Orlando. Either way the point is Casey is better suited as an assistant.
Blaze is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote