Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - The Casey miracle
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
moremilk
whatever

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
Some of the defensive improvement has come with a lot of fouling. DeMar and Jose have improved a good deal on the perimeter. And I think where Casey has the biggest effect is just in understanding how to make the pieces work together to get the best results. And he has gone away from the terrible offensive game plan of years past that had so many quick shots, and bad shots go up only to see easy transition points going the other way. Instead of having 5 guys running their asses off for as long as they can to try to score off of a greater number of shots, he's got an offense that insists on disciplined role play, good execution, and far more good shots than bad, and that does wonders for the defense - in that it mirrors the disciplined teamwork that is needed on the defensive end, and it allows for the team's energy to be used well on both ends, while taking away a lot of easy transition points for the opposing team.

The effect that's had has been remarkable with a good deal of so-so players in the mix. I can't wait to see the big jump that players that don't need to foul so much can bring.
yes, we're fouling a lot more, but that's probably not helping all that much, because we're also allowing a ton of points from the ft line as a result. I guess once you build a reputation for a team that fouls hard, it will intimidate some of the softer guys out there who may not go at the basket quite at will like in the past. The slower pace helps and so does the zone.

I guess there are a lot of small things, but I dare you to find one person last year who thought that roster has it in them to be a middle of the pack defensive team.

If only Casey could get Bargnani to play defense for 70-80% of the time next season ...
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote