Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - the case for aaron gray
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
moremilk
whatever

Representing:
Default the case for aaron gray

Some people question gray and I find that strange because he's a younger, and improved version of reggie evans, and reggie was a fan favourite despite making twice as much money.

Gray is a better rebounder than reggie, a vastly better defender (although he's too slow to play against certain matchups) and you can count of him for at least making layups and dunks around the basket, which is more than you could say about reggie. And the guy is young and most likely will come cheap.

Toronto is currently ranking 12th in the league in rebounding and 2nd in the league in defensive rebounding. This is the same team that was ranked among the last as little as two years ago and rebounding was for the longest time among the biggest complaint among fans.

If we can retain davis and gray, and with the addition of JV (who figures to be a top rebounder himself), we would safely put that problem behind us, even with AB and Demar continuing to rank among the lowest at their positions.

I think we'd be making a mistake if we don't resign gray and even giving him a increase in salary would be worthwhile, especially considering that there's room for growth. If he could polish his offense a little and a minimum of post game so he can contribute more at that end, Gray could be a fantastic backup center for JV. Of course, that almost certainly means we'd have to trade one of AB/Amir/Ed, but that decision can probably be pushed one year into the future (with the risk of really cutting Ed's minutes unfortunately).

Of course, if we get lucky and win the #1 pick, things would change dramatically, but short of that, I wouldn't mind throwing 3.5 million at Gray this summer.
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote