Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Post sick beats
Thread: Post sick beats
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #38 (permalink)
'trane
www.torontoraptorsforum.com

giant steps

Representing:

2 questions about what this thread would include:

1. are these just about the beat, or are you guys really talking about the entirety of the instrumental (including bass lines, chord changes, etc)? i ask this question because of the presence of things like that warren g 'regulate' piece - it's a cool instrumental thing, but rhythmically it's not that interesting or complex. it's just a simple drum beat in 4/4 that doesn't change much over the 3 1/2 minutes. for me it's more the bass and keys that make it cool.

2. is this just about hip-hop/electronic music (or even hip-hop with a band like the roots), or are we talking beats in general? i'm thinking of funk bands, boogaloo, jazz, etc. there are so many incredible beats - and i mean that musically, as in drum breaks, playing with time and rhythm, etc - that are not part of the genre that is almost exclusively represented here.

i hope i am not sounding condescending. i am just curious about what we are examining here. is this about 'beat' or about electronic instrumentals?
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key