Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Bargnani beyond the arc
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargn88 View Post
I don't buy this "old Bargn is back" theory.

In the past the knock on Bargnani has been his focus on defence and motivation, and I didn't see that creeping back in his game last night.

Last night the guy played his heart out, even knowing his shot wasn't falling, he remained focus on defence. If he wasn't trying, would we have been in a nail bitter with the Bulls?

He was 8/10 from the line, a +8, and still grabbed 7 boards. He will never be a great rebounder, but what distinguished him in those 13 games from last year was his focus on defence, and I saw that last night.
I agree that he's still better on defense, but his defense does drop off when his offensive game goes south. Most of those rebounds and freethrows last night took place in his strong first quarter. It's like there is a limit to the fight in him, and that is when the bad shots start getting chucked, or he defers when he's looking at a smaller defender on him. In that sense he's back to old habits and patterns. Although his earlier stint with strong play through 4 quarters in a good number of games is something we've been teased with at times through past seasons as well. The enigma remains. Casey can still make something of it I suppose, but I worry about what happens in meaningful games in the future. There's too much heart in too many other guys here, and in the coach, to see so many low-percentage shots and defense that still disappears too often.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote