Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Deron Williams
Thread: Deron Williams
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #74 (permalink)
Bill Haverchuck
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriller92 View Post
And IMO, I think the Hornets are the ones holding him out this year. Its a smart move if you look at it closely, they get to tank for a better pick, and they drive his value down for oncoming free agency.
I see the logic in the Hornets keeping him out of the lineup to tank. That makes sense.

But I'm not as sold on the point about driving down his value. That only works if they think they can keep him. The Hornets would only want his value low if they think he'll sign an offer sheet. They'd want to match a low offer.

But, because Gordon has already once refused to sign an extension, there is a chance he will be stupid and play out his qualifying year. In that case, the Hornets need to move him before he becomes a UFA.

Knowing all of this, the Hornets might have accepted the fact that they will have to trade him. The time to trade him is this summer while he is an RFA and they still have matching rights. You want his value to be high if you're going to trade him. It could be harder to trade him in a qualifying year.
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote