Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Happiness
Thread: Happiness
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Chris
representing the Big Land

basketball is life

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
those are all day to day pleasures.

I disagree with Lig in one point.

happiness i believe is a result of a combination of pleasures, but not goals. If one were to search throughout their lives for happiness, aim to reach a goal, etc, you would never reach it. Imo goals can never be reached, because goals are never set in stone or permanent. What makes an individual happy varies from year to year, month to month, day to day, second to second.

fulfillment can never be reached in one's life simply because humans as a species always feel as if nothing is ever enough. All people, at death, regret their lives, in one way or another, but ultimately because they believe they could have done so much more, which in some cases is true, and in others untrue.

to make one truly happy is to fulfill momentary pleasures, and have a lack of goal, looking forward, because looking forward will always allow us to skip by the present, as does looking in the past.
Ceaser Milan, a dog "expert" (however much a person can be) once said that the difference between dogs and humans is that at death no dog is ever sad. They accept death with ease, because throughout their life they have lived in the present, and made the most out of every possible situation. I don't generally agree with Ceaser and his tactics (i've had a dog, and trained him well, and that's not easy to do with a jack russel) but this saying is incredibly true.
How do you continually fulfill momentary pleasures? In my experience, that leads to a whole lot of ups and downs. With lifelong fullfilment I believe you can live your life always slightly on the up. Fullfilment comes from reaching goals. I do agree with living in the present though, and trying to appreciate your surroundings on a day-to-day basis to find some kind of peace of mind.
Chris is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote