Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - every raptor is a keeper...?
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #34 (permalink)
MikeToronto
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper

Representing:

My lists:

1. Guys who belong in the league:

Kleiza
Barbosa
DeRozan
Davis
Bayless
A. Johnson
J. Johnson
Gray (barely)
Magloire (barely)

2. Guys who would be starters for a competitive team:

Calderon
Bargnani

3. Guys who you'd build your team around:

So, overall, that's much better quality than we've had in recent years, and with the coaching change, accounts for a better on-court product, far less blowouts and much closer losses, even if the overall record is still quite bad.

However, supporting SJ's sentiments here, we do lack starting caliber talent. Assuming that JV ends up starting in the second part of the next season (assuming also that he plays like it and not just gets promoted like Gray did for the absence of a better player), and also assuming that the pick ends up as either 2 or 3 (Lamb, K-G or Barnes) and plays like a high-lottery pick should, we could have more positions manned by proper starters next season, but most likely it's going to take another year.

As for "trading the keepers" - sure, BC will always be looking at improvements. However, with the effects of the new CBA not fully understood even by the league executives yet, I fear that the movement of the players in trades is going to be somewhat timid both around this trade deadline (unless Orlando decides to trade Howard) and this summer. So, at this point, I'd expect pretty much the same cast back, plus JV and the pick.

P.S.: Forbes, Butler, Carter are absolutely inconsequential and so shouldn't warrant a discussion.

Last edited by MikeToronto; 03-05-2012 at 12:01 PM.
MikeToronto is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote