Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Wilson Chandler back from China, flies to Toronto
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #225 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeToronto View Post
Well, you do realize that cap and tax thresholds represent finite amounts of money, right? As such, any move is necessarily a part of a larger blueprint, if nothing else because every dollar spent somewhere limits your ability to spend it elsewhere, effectively.

Chandler, in all likelihood, is not worth 8 mil/season to begin with, not under the new CBA. For Raptors specifically, with Kleiza and JJ both under very reasonable and affordable contracts, with holes in the backcourt and with a good chance of drafting another three-man with a high lottery pick, I'd consider such signing harmful to the "overall blueprint" precisely because it impedes the team's ability to do "a pretty big overhaul with many moves yet to be made".
It is possible to free up cap space, moreso now than with the previous CBA. You can fret and recognize limitations all you like. I hope, and I emphasize hope, that a whole range of options are in the offing, properly prioritized and with fallbacks, which include the cheaper side of gaining potential assets through extra picks, shedding some contractual obligations through trades, maybe using the amnesty.

Are Kleiza and JJ who they really want, or are they just options that are conveniently affordable? If they are just affordable, then that's not what I would call following a blueprint. They need to target specific individuals. If they are serious about this guy then I would guess that means they are less serious about the draft prospects at that position, and that Kleiza and/or JJ are more valuable in terms of possible trades.

There is no surefire definable core with this team as I see it. That really needs to be firmed up, and I'm very interested to see how that comes together. It surely means that some good, and maybe even affordable pieces are outward bound. That's how it works. Successful teams make deals that help them acquire the players they have targeted, and don't get all worried about having to give up something good to do so, as long as there is a plan in place to maintain a certain level of flexibility throughout the process, and this potential signing on its own is hardly enough to make me think that they are handcuffing themselves needlessly. Let's see what happens next.

Last edited by LX; 02-24-2012 at 02:43 PM.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote