Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Wilson Chandler back from China, flies to Toronto
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #191 (permalink)
jeffb
is the baby faced assassin

Banned

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR1815 View Post
Chandler is a nice swingman. He'll chip in 15 points, 5 rebounds, a few assists. But is he really the game changer we want and need?

He was successful on a pretty bad Knicks team and it looks like he reached his ceiling. He had his chance in Denver after the trade to step up and be the go-to guy, as the team was filled with a bunch of very (talent level-wise) similar role players, and he didn't deliver.

Now, I'm all for strengthening the SF spot. But is he really an upgrade over the Kleiza/JJ situation we have now? Personally, I don't think so - I'm sure some will disagree. When you consider this off-season will be weak on SFs, somebody will overpay for Chandler - a restricted free agent. Aren't we better off looking to see how JJ (who still has a ton of upside, and whose real impediment is the jump shot) and Kleiza (who has proven to be effective when healthy) work out until we can get that really special player?

If we are committing to development, that's great. If we can get a great wing player through the draft/FA/trade, that's great too. But Chandler doesn't fit in either scheme. He's nether talented enough to develop into a great player, nor good enough to abandon our plans for the younger guys. If he can be gotten for cheap, I'm all in. I just don't see him being the guy to solve our problems.
game changers are usually max type players. and that isn't happening. he's an upgrade, young, and seems to be the type of player that could thrive in this system under casey. he'd be a great piece to add........besides, in the second year of a re-build you're not going to get game changers. aquiring talent is the goal right now.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key