Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Floyd Mayweather's tweet
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 02:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
Bill Haverchuck
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito Caliente View Post

i'm just being real saying basketball is not an Asian sport, it's not what we excel at. Asian kids might play basketball for fun, but most of the time it's not a career option because the height is not there. Is it wrong to say that ping pong is more of an Asian sport?
I'm simply saying it might contribute to the some of the same stereo-types that work against Asians.

Quote:
you can't really deny the fact that he didn't get offered any Division 1 scholarships after being named the first team All State player of the year in California due to his ethnicity.
I'm not certain about all the facts. Acie spoke about this a bit in another thread and the situation seemed more complicated. Lin made some choices, in the sense that he wanted to go to particular schools. I don't know off the top of my head what other players got schollys to schools like UCLA. But UCLA is a great ball program. Quite a few future NBA players don't receive scholly offers from UCLA despite playing very well in high school in California.

Quote:
Wouldn't you say Earl Lloyd overcame the racial barrier when he suited up as the first black to play in an NBA game?
Different time period. Really different. Different obstacles.

Quote:
Maybe you are just getting at me for the Golden State and Houston scenarios....but garbage minutes doesn't mean much, Darko Milicic was given plenty of minutes in the garbage times in Detroit but didn't shine until he got picked up and given legitimate court time in Minnesota.
Okay, suppose we go along with this example, how does this help prove the case Lin was cut because he's Asian? Was Darko cut because he is a euro? No. A number of guys bounce around a bit before they find the right opportunity that fits. It happens to players.

Quote:
I wasn't trying to play the race card....some of the stuff I said might sound like it but you have got to agree to some degree race plays a part in his journey to success.
I think the fans who talk about him make a bigger deal out of it than the people who scout and work in the NBA.

Quote:
Otherwise how do you explain that so many schools missed out on him and so many teams skipped him until now? If he's so good how could he be overlooked for so long? it's hard to understand it unless you've been through it.....
I've actually posted and article in antoher thread that touches on this. Aside from the real top players, it's hard to tell who the obvious difference makers will be. I mean, Bayless is not that great of a player, yet he averaged 30 ppg in summer league. Lots of prospects show flashes of brilliance at some point. It's not as easy as it seems to predict who will be a consistent high level player.

Quote:
I didn't say Lin was prevented from succeeding due to his race, but rather his path is more ragged than most due to his race.....it's not a race card, it's a fact.
-you're right that you didn't say "prevented from succeeding". I'm sorry for slightly misrepresnting your point.

-I'm still not 100% sure you can say his path was more ragged due to his race. I can definitely imagine him being exposed to slurs while playing ball, but some white and black players still here those too. Fans and opposing players will be mean when looking to get an advantage.

Last edited by Bill Haverchuck; 02-14-2012 at 03:03 AM.
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote