Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - CBS sports: Colangelo's future in Toronto
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Acie
landry fields forever

Administrator

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
I'm sorry, but I fail to see how turning rafer into james was a good move. We basically became a vehicle for james to shoot his way into a massive contract elsewhere. He was no good before we got him, no good while here and no good after. He was entertaining, I'll give you that . Same with drafting Jose, anytime you draft a good player with a very late pick, you're not allowed to take credit for it imo. If you really thought that player will be worth something, you would (or at least should) have drafted him earlier. 500k (cost of an early second rounder) is peanuts for a good prospect. Otherwise, it's just luck.

Drafting CV was a good move, but ONLY because BC traded him while his value was high (against the wish of the fans). I'm no fortune teller, but I have a lot of difficulty believing Babcock would have traded CV. Most likely we'd have watched his trade value go down the drain the following year.

As for RB orchestrating the trade for AD, I don't recall any rumours of that nature in advance of the move. In fact, it was a very surprising trade when it happened. So I'm not sure how you can be so certain that it was RB's handywork. If it was, then that was a great move and ironic that he would be fired right after making his only good move here.

But all in all, for the limited time he was here, he truly made a ton of mistakes. He was brought in because MLSE was cheap and the old adage (penny wise, dollar foolish ..) was proven once more.
Are you really questioning one year of Mike James and his expiring deal vs. the 5 years at roughly 4.5 million per season that were remaining on Rafer's contract?

Like TO said, Jose was a free agent signing. He wasn't a draft pick. He was being targeted by several teams, but Babcock won over Jose due to the fact he could speak Spanish.

And Rose trade rumours were swirling during the offseason right up until he was traded. The Knicks being the one team always mentioned due to his connection with Thomas and Larry Brown , so I really don't know where you're getting your info from. Babcock didn't want to include the pick, so was reluctant to do the deal and once he was gone, Embry stepped in and added the pick and pulled the trigger.
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote