Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Mark Cuban not a fan of the NBA in the Olympics
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
'trane
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
It's important as far as international basketball goes.

I get that it's a financial risk for the owners and that's why they don't like it, but that's the way international competition goes.

What do you think is the most important or maybe i should say most meaningful international competition for basketball?
i don't put any importance in international competitions in any sport. i think patriotism, by and large, is way overblown. to quote vonnegut a little out of context, "if you want to study a granfalloon, just remove the skin of a toy balloon."

it's all pretty meaningless.

the thing about basketball, and a few other sports, is that a single star player is incredibly pricey and a significant difference-maker. on top of that, the market is not exactly full of top tier talent, and replacements are pretty much unavailable.

it's fun, and within context has some value, but if i'm cuban and i stand to lose tens or hundreds of millions because my guys want to have some meaningless fun, i'm not going to be happy about that at all.
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote