Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Mark Cuban not a fan of the NBA in the Olympics
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Claudius
contemplating

The Killing Joke

Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default Mark Cuban not a fan of the NBA in the Olympics

I understand his point as an owner, but one can make a strong argument it is because of the original Dream Team and the NBA being involved in the olympics that has allowed the league to become more of a global phenomenon. I like Cuban, but I think he's completely wrong on this one.

Quote:
Having seen promising young guard Rodrigue Beaubois go down playing for France and now seeing face of the franchise Dirk Nowitzki nursing an injury and out of Dallas' lineup after playing for Germany, Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said he will continue the uphill battle to make international basketball off limits to handsomely paid NBA players.

Cuban has argued that NBA owners should not be saddled with the full risk of their players suiting up for their countries in the offseason, and he said other owners agree with him but aren't as vocal in their opposition.

"It's just the epitome of stupidity that we would allow ourselves to be used so other corporations" -- as Cuban calls the Olympics -- "can make tens, if not hundreds of millions of dollars," Cuban said. "There's some guys sitting at the Olympic headquarters going, 'Those dumb-asses, we're taking all their best guys for nothing.' "

Cuban knows he's unlikely to bring change to the system, but he said he will continue "fighting so that we'll pull out."

Cuban has repeatedly voiced his displeasure to NBA commissioner David Stern, but his complaints have fallen on deaf ears. He said he tried to make it a topic of discussion during the collective bargaining agreement negotiations over the summer, but that attempt also failed.

"The commissioner's office won't open it up to discussion. They just make a unilateral call," Cuban said Monday. "They'll take calls about it, but won't put it up for a vote. Hopefully, I can get him to move it to a vote at some point."

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban not a fan of international games for NBA players - ESPN Dallas
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote