Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Did we overrate our youth?
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #27 (permalink)
Superjudge
is pounding the rock!

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
Serious question, did we overrate them, just a bit.

Right now, DeMar looks lost and well, young. Davis seems to be a slightly better version of Reggie Evans, there's massive question marks around Bayless and well, I can't think of any other players.

But, it's been pretty interesting to see how our team has struggled with them. They just haven't taken then next step, when the opportunity is there.

Could a lot of this be do to not having a proper training camp?
I for one can never be accused of over rating our youth, in fact I continually found myself in a very beat down minority because of it. That said I don't blame guys for doing it, it's easy to get excited, especially when there has been little to look forward to.

Lets face it, most here won't admit it, but we get all our basketball via the media in one way or another. They control what we see and HOW we see it. Your local media will help pump up and hype your young talent. National and Global media hop on the wagon for the higher picks, the lottery guys, and they create realities for these players. I truly believe that coming out of College, the NBA and the Media create stars. I would bet there are better players than Chris Paul that had spotty personal lives or were far too hard to listen to in the media so they weren't hyped and promoted as the next big thing. Thats why you see so many "BUSTS". These guys aren't busts, they are the same guys they were in College or High School. They just didn't pan out, they couldn't improve or take advantage of the free ride they got, and lets be honest, there is a new crop every year so the media and the NBA marketing machine don't mind tearing these kids to pieces after they have set them up to fail because they had a very nice and easy to market package coming in....but couldn't cut it.

I rip Derozan, we all do, Bargs, Davis, we are unfair. They weren't that good to start with. Derozan played like 20 college games and was average. We were told he was athletic, yet you could watch the Youtube tapes and think..."he ain't that athletic, a dude I know at the YMCA does dunks like that in games", AND YOU WERE RIGHT!!!

So the short answer is yes. We over value our youth. But cut yourselves some slack, you have a lot of help and encouragement. Never forget guys, the NBA is a company, it's an entertainment company and it is a damn good one. Natural progression and logic doesn't always apply.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote