Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Does Jose get amnestied/traded no matter what?
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #87 (permalink)
moremilk
whatever

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValanciunasFanboy View Post
there was no tongue in cheek re Conley, i simply think Conley is a superior player and I'd take him over Calderon.

everyone of us uses 'tiers' in their minds. it happens more along the lines of "clearly better", "maybe, I'd have to think about it", "worse", etc.
you can achieve the same with numerical tiers if you like. But in the end, tier-ing is just a part of thought process when you rank players.

anyway, there are at least 15 guys whom I'd put above Calderon without a "maybe". You didn't mention all of them in your post btw, Jrue Holiday is one, Stephen Curry, Jameer Nelson, but there might be a few more.

or i can create a few more tiers.
what if i think Rondo is clearly better than Holiday who is clearly better than Conley who is clearly better than Calderon? in your system, there are no tiers at all in between Rondo and Calderon.

well there was a guy in this forum just days ago who said he wouldn't trade Calderon unless there's a top 5 point guard coming back in trade.

Personally, I see more point in ranking players based on how I see their value, rather than try to build a try to please everyone by grouping Calderon with both superior and inferior players.

well Conley shoots very well (except this month), he has good lateral quickness, and he's one of the better defensive points. I don't see any team where I'd rather have Calderon than Conley. So, I place Conley higher.
And we could do this with Holiday or Felton, etc.

I just don't see the point to artificially "group" them together with Calderon when I'm convinced that they are more valuable to a team.
If someone disagrees, so be it. I can't say "Conley has similar value as Calderon", when I don't think he does.
too many tiers defeat the purpose, this exercise only works well if you try to generalize as much as possible without becoming irrelevant. For this system to work you have to live with a rule like this: if player A is not CLEARLY better than player B, than you will consider both equal. The advantage is that it's a lot easier to agree that player A is clearly better than player B. Most people will agree that paul is better than curry and curry better than holiday, but you will not reach any consensus in rondo vs curry and holiday vs conley.

I also don't think nelson or conley are clearly superior to jose. Jose is a better shooter than both of those players and has better court vision. Nelson and conley might be better scorers and definitely are better defenders. However, Jose has better PG skills and I would argue he would be more valuable to Orlando and Memphis than those two.
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote