Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Blazers low balling Batum
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
chucking wood like a woodchuck would if a woodchuck could chuck wood

i don't think they want afflalo money, i think they want more. the agent / Batum i mean.
i would ask for more if I was his agent.
afflalo is who he is. a very good 26 year old perimeter defender with good if inconsistent offense. He'll earn that salary.
Batum will be at least Afflalo. But he's 23, he's insanely long, much longer than Afflalo, he's already a pretty good defender and there have been a ton of flashes of what he could become. He could have an impact of Luol Deng in 3 years. Or even bigger.

Maybe he won't become that. But that's the selling point.
And I think if they wait, some team will throw 10+ mil a year at them during the offseason. Celtics? Mavs? Or imagine Lakers trading Pau, Bynum, cutting Artest and rebuilding around Kobe, Dwight, Batum and pieces.
I didn't check the numbers but they should be under cap. Heck, many teams will have some cap, and there aren't enough free agents once again.
Someone would overpay and hope Blazers don't match. Or overpay and hope the Blazers match.
There's really no reason for Batum's agent not to ask a lot.
ValanciunasFanboy is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote