Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - NBA attendance, popularity up over last season
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
jeffb
is the baby faced assassin

Representing:
Smile NBA attendance, popularity up considerably over last season

This is from a couple weeks ago but the trend seems to have continued. I think fans are indifferent to lockouts these days and just do other things until it comes back.

Quote:
During the NBA lockout you heard many sports fans complaining about the NBA, saying things like nobody cares about the NBA or if it ever comes back. Even some pundits who follow the NBA and earn a living by doing so, had completely written off the 2011-12 season.

Kevin Garnett massive dunk
Wikimedia Commons
Well the NBA ended its lockout, and started its abbreviated season on Christmas Day, December 25, 2011, and NBA fans tuned in and turned out in droves to watch the games.

Knicks vs Celtics Christmas Day Game Draws Highest Cable Ratings Ever for Holiday Game

The New York Knicks vs Boston Celtics game on Christmas Day set a new record as the most watched game on cable on Christmas. The game did a 4.1 overnight rating, which was a 48% increase over last season's Chicago Bulls vs Knicks game. The Knicks vs Celtics was also the fourth most watched regular season game ever on cable.

Ratings Up for Almost All Christmas Day Games

All the other Christmas Day NBA games, except for the Chicago Bulls vs Los Angeles Lakers on ABC, did much better ratings than last year. The Bulls vs Lakers game did a 6.4 rating, which was down 6% from last season's Miami Heat vs Lakers game.

The Heat vs Dallas Mavericks game on ABC, which featured a rematch of the teams in last season's NBA Finals, did a 5.6 rating, which was up 6% over last year's Celtics vs Orlando Magic game.

The Magic vs Oklahoma City Thunder game on ESPN was up 36% over last season's Denver Nuggets vs Thunder game. Guess Carmelo Anthony in New York is a bigger TV draw than Melo in Denver.

I'm a big Carmelo Anthony fan, and have been ever since he won the NCAA Championship in 2003 for my favorite college basketball team, the Syracuse Orange. I liked watching Melo play in Denver, but it's a lot easier for me to watch him play for the Knicks (I live in New Jersey).

The Los Angeles Clippers vs Golden State Warriors game was up a whopping 77% from last season's Portland Trail Blazers vs Warriors game.

NBA Attendance Up So Far in 2011-12 Season from Last Season's Average

During the 2010-11 season, the 30 NBA teams collectively averaged 17,318 fans per game. So far in the 2011-12 season, attendance at NBA games is averaging 18,966 per game. That's almost a 10% increase in attendance. I know you can't read too much into that yet, but it's still impressive.

Despite Lockout, NBA is Still Popular

It's still early in the abbreviated 2011-12 NBA season, but so far NBA fans are turning out and tuning in games at much higher levels than they did last season. The idea that nobody cares about the NBA, which many people tried to say during the lockout, is proven wrong by the TV ratings and game attendance so far in the 2011-12 season.
After Lockout, NBA Fans Are Tuning in and Turning Out for Games: Fan's View - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

Last edited by jeffb; 01-14-2012 at 11:52 AM.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote