Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Anthony Carter: 'we have to get the job done'
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Claudius
contemplating

The Killing Joke

Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default Anthony Carter: 'we have to get the job done'

Really, really good article on what Anthony Carter brings to this team. Even after this season him and Magloire/Gray are the guys I'd want to keep going forward.

Anyways take a read:

Quote:
“He wants to get into coaching and the front office,” Casey said. “I told him to come and be a part of the coaches’ meetings. I love him. He’s a solid man. He reminds me a lot of a young Johnny Davis (already on Casey’s staff). I have the utmost respect for him and I think he will add to the style of play we want to have. He’s a great mentor for our young players.”

Chief among those players will be young point guard Jerryd Bayless who Carter has already identified as one of his projects.

“You really can’t say anything to a player until you’ve been around him on the court, but trust me, as the season goes on and training camp goes on, I’ll be in his ear and I’ll keep him right,” Carter said.

Carter can’t recall the last time he played on a roster that had this much youth: “College probably,” he said. But he’s looking forward to the challenge.

“If I can get these guys going on the defensive end I know they will get out and get layups and get dunks,” he said. “These guys can play defence. They just need someone to motivate them and I’m that guy. It starts with the point guard.”

The timing couldn’t be better for Carter either.

Normally a third point guard would only see minutes at the end of blow outs or in the case of an injury, but the condensed schedule means backups are going to see more minutes than they normally would.

“Great time for a third point guard because you are going to have rapid-fire games, 17 games in how ever many nights that first month,” Casey said. “Someone is going to have to be super human to handle those kind of minutes.”

And when Carter isn’t getting minutes he’ll be mentoring, something last year’s roster was extremely thin on, whether his teammates want to hear it or not.

“I tell them all the time you don’t have to like me off the court but you do have to play with me on it,” he said.

“I’m your friend on the court. Off the court, I don’t have to see you so I’m going to yell at you and do whatever I have to and you can do the same thing to me. We come in this gym, we have to get the job done and then you go your way and I’ll go mine.”
Raptors suddenly older, wiser | Basketball | Sports | Toronto Sun
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote