Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Spurs have decided to amnesty Jefferson
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #19 (permalink)
'trane
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bltman View Post
+1

I am shocked that people here think he will get 5, 6 or even 10 million from another team. By using the amnesty, the Spurs wipe his salaray out for cap purposes but they are still on the hook to pay him the full $10 million per year. When a team claims him off waivers, they need to indicate how much of his current salary they are willing to take on and I just don't believe any team is willing to let the Spurs off the hook by taking on a significant amount of the salary. In my view, the only way a team agrees to pay him in the 5 to 6 million range is if a team is significanty under the minimum threshold and needs to get over it and they believe he is the best fit. Otherwise, I expect a team to get him on the cheap. If no one claims him off waivers, he will end up with vet minimum.
getting one of the top nba 3 point shooters and an athletic veteran wing that can defend and has experience for $5 mil per is a steal. a team (like toronto) that has space and needs a 3 would love to have a guy like that. if we signed him and amnestied Calderon next year we'd still have loads of cap space, and we'd also have our answer for the starting 3 spot. seems like a slam dunk to me. letting san antonio off the hook is irrelevant in that scenario. as danh said, no way he passes waivers.
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote