Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Raps sign Jamal Magloire to 1 year deal
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
jeffb
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Representing:
Raptors Raps interested in Jamal Magloire

lol

Quote:
I keep hearing that Magloire, coming off his 11th NBA season, is on Toronto’s radar as a free agent; a big, veteran centre they could get for the minimum who might be good in practice and the odd game when his mixture of brawn and a willingness to bang some bodies around would help out.

I guess I can see the sense it makes since Bryan has given every indication he’s going to fill out the roster with one-year veterans and other short-termers so he can be a big player either next summer or around the trade deadline as a deal facilitator.

Here’s something else to consider: If you’re looking at a fourth big, would you rather have a veteran like Magloire or a kid like Solomon Alabi.

No offence to Alabi, who they tell me has improved, but simple math would tell you his long-term prognosis isn’t great. You’ve got Bargnani, Amir Johnson and Ed Davis ahead of him now, those three (probably) along with Jonas Valanciunas next season will crowd it any more.

Anyway, I have no idea if a one-year veteran minimum deal (with a remote chance of a non-guaranteed second) would be something that would appeal to Jamaal – I’m also not sure there’ll be a lot teams making calls to him and his people this week – but it would give the HOTH a first: A Canadian guy to have in uniform.

It would also, of course, mean the absolute end of any chance Reggie Evans would be back but I’m hearing that’s rather remote anyway; too much money, likely too many years, too dicey with regards to injury and there are other suitors (Boston among them) who have some interest.
Doug Smith's Sports Blog

Last edited by jeffb; 12-07-2011 at 11:21 AM.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote