Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - simmons - 12 days of nba christmas
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint

Representing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Sure, but they would mean nothing. In the current structure, the team they are going to usually already has a superstar on it, who would be paid so much of the cap that they would have no way of signing the new player to a superstar deal. As such, the leverage players have now of being able to sign with the Knicks or Nets the next summer in the free agent market would disappear, or be much more rare anyway. In general, if you want multiple stars they would each have to take big pay cuts (not the hilariously small ones the Miami 3 are credited with) to make it happen - and no system can prevent that.

There would be no more threats of "trade me or I walk" because they would in all likelihood have to choose to walk somewhere where there is no other star.
Yeah well, I guess that works. But when I think back to how I fell in love with the game, it was by watching teams with more than one star, and usually more than two stars as well as a vet that was once a star. I would have to forget a lot to be able to enjoy parity under such a scenario. I would much rather see them try redistributing profits a little more first.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote