Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - NBA.com: Toronto Raptors Preview
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 01:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Superjudge
is pounding the rock!

Representing:

Jason Kapono is still a tremendous threat to bring off the bench and isn’t quite the defensive liability some would have you believe.
Andrea Bargnani still has the potential to be one of the better Euro players in the league but only if Sam Mitchell backs off his "tough love" philosophy and bashing the kid every chance he gets.
The Raptors still have a wealth of talent but until they come with a consistent defensive philosophy and effort they will underachieve.
-- NBA Scout

I liked these last three points, as I agree with all three.

Kapono isn't a bad defender, and I have no idea why he is seen as such. Now he isn't a good one either, thats obvious, but the guy is extremely smart, and plays spot on positional defence, which, is absolutely imperative for a team to work well as a five man unit. Moon is great at the little things, and he is visually defending, meaning you can see his big blocks, the odd steals, the boards, however, he might not be so great as it pertains to position, and rotation, and understanding the unseen nuances of leading his man to a spot on the floor hi doesn't want to be, or denying him the ball. This isn't a knock on Moon, just there to point out that although Kapono doesn't provide the flashy stuff, he makes up for it with the text book stuff.

As for Bargnani, he can be good, and Mitchell can ride him hard, but he has to learn when to take the throttle off. I think you'll see a bit more tolerance this year.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote