Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - Headlines
Thread: Headlines
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #417 (permalink)
'trane
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

Representing:

Toronto News: Rob Ford boycotts the Star, but we?ll fight it and here?s why - thestar.com

Quote:
Which brings us to the “Ford freeze” — the specific order by Mayor Rob Ford that all official notices and pronouncements from his office not be provided to this newspaper.

The ban has been in place ever since Ford won the mayoral race more than a year ago. It stems from Ford’s rage over a piece the Star ran during the campaign about his conduct as a football coach.

There is no purpose served in rehashing the details. However, the Star has always stood by the story, noting it was carefully checked by our lawyer before publication.

Candidate Ford was furious and filed an immediate notice of libel, which is entirely and appropriately his prerogative. But he never followed up, as required, and his suit has now lapsed.

Mayor Ford has repeatedly said his freeze will stay in place until the Star runs an apology above the fold on page 1. As he recently told reporter Daniel Dale, “I don’t talk to the Star till you guys apologize. You guys (are) liars.”

Thus we have the chief magistrate of the city, his legal remedy expired, using the tool of blackout to prevent the city’s largest newspaper from receiving notification of public events, briefings or announcements from his office.

In my view, this tactic is not only high-handed and inappropriate, but also raises a serious issue of abuse of power.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote