Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards - View Single Post - The Best Player On The Toronto Raptors This Year Will Be.....
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #90 (permalink)
EggsToTheBBQ
useless

Representing:

I thought before the draft that if Jonas is selected, then that's the sign that Bargs' days with the Raptors are numbered.

Ed Davis will be peaking around the same time that DD will be, and with a smaller contract than Bargs. Ed is the PF of the future in Toronto. Jonas is the center of the future. That leaves Bargs to come off the bench (unless those spots are still filled by Amir and Alabi).

It seemed to me that Bargs let the team down last year. Whether or not he was capable of leading the team to the playoffs is beside the point.

Bargs was, and is, capable of turning up to training camp focused, in shape, and with a more refined repertoire. He's capable of being a leader on the floor, and in practice, with his intensity and effort. He's capable of those things because every basketball player is.

Most NBA players don't have the opportunity to be the team leader and face of the franchise. He did, but he didn't prepare himself for that role, and didn't execute that role.

Maybe being traded (or amnestied) will put a chip on his shoulder, and he'll come back from that a much improved player. I think it's entirely possible - he has the talent. But if that's what it takes to wake him up, then that's what needs to happen.

I think that whatever success Bargs has will only increase his trade value. Right now I don't think that he is tradeable - at least not for anything other than another bad contract.
EggsToTheBBQ is offline   Boss Key Wife Key